Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Review of: Paranormalcy By Kiersten White

Ok, I decided that I must, must, must post a review of Kiersten White's Paranormalcy, so here goes...

Kiersten White is fun and sweet and real.  She is the perfect person to be writing great YA fiction.  If anyone out there does not follow her blog (http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com/) or her Tweets, they should.
I decided to get Paranormalcy before it came out, not because I am a YA, I'm more of a GA (grown adult) but not quite an OA (old adult).  I wanted to see what she wrote because she was so darn fun to listen to!  I have to say though; her book is probably even more fun.

First glimpse:  At first I have to admit I started to say to myself... this might be a little young for me?  My own
writing style tends toward the dark, reflective side of paranormal.  But it was fun, and kept up a good pace and I was curious for more. 

One third:  When I was about a third of the way through the book was when I realized that I was becoming hooked.  This read wasn't just fun, it was exciting and unexpected and sat on the counter open, calling to me to read more every time I had to put it down.

Half way there: about half way through was when I started rooting, out loud, for the characters.  Things like 'Yes, that's right!' and 'No way, don't tell me your serious!' and 'You creep, get away from her!' were coming out of my mouth (the last one on several occasions).  My husband kind of thought I was crazy.  Not unusual though, so I ignored that.

The end (no, not the end!):  I want more!  Yes, perhaps it is like a guilty fix, but I want more!  I will be waiting eagerly to pre-order the second book as soon as possible.

As I mentioned, my paranormal tastes have generally ranged on the Anne Rice end of the scale, as does my own writing.  Characters that think, a lot, about their own condition, the condition of the world around them, and the condition of eternity… But, no matter what type of paranormal tales you are currently into, I recommend giving Paranormalcy a read! 
The characters are well developed throughout the course of the book, the subject matter matures as they do, and the plot takes unexpected twists and turns that are always convincing and convicting.  The reader is left satisfied, yet with a yearning for more of their great journey to come.
You will not be disappointed by Paranormalcy.

That is why I want to give away a copy of Paranormalcy to one lucky blog follower.
Follow my blog for more details to come…
            Very soon…
                        I promise…!

(And if you just can’t wait, because who can blame you, then go out and buy a copy of Kiersten White’s Paranormalcy… Today!)

1 comment:

Christauna Asay said...

Bought, read, enjoyed. Just finished this morning in fact. Thanks for the review. Love your blog btw. :)