Friday, February 18, 2011

A Place to Call Home

Coming Home
Have you ever known a place that felt like home?  Maybe it wasn’t where you were born, where you grew up or where you’ve even lived.  It’s just a place that feels like you.  A place that feels like home.
I have a place like that.  I’ve known it less than half my life and I’ve never lived there.  I’m blessed to visit every year and every time I come into that valley surrounded by mountains I know I’m home.  I can’t tell you what it is that makes me feel this connection, but I do.  I guess it’s a lot like love that way, you just know it when you feel it. 
I would love to own a vacation property there, so I could be there every free moment I had.  I would love to live there, but my husband insists that a job is rather important and his isn’t there.  Someday maybe, if all the pieces of life work out just right, I’ll find myself there at least part time.  What I do know is that every moment I’m not there, I wish I was.  I try not to let it distract me from my daily life, but my heart really is at home somewhere else.
So, what do I do to pass the time when I’m not there?  I dream about being there.  In fact, if every novel I wrote could take place there I’d find a way to make it happen.  There are only so many vampires and wolves and various mythological and paranormal characters you can gather into one real valley unfortunately.  Maybe I’ll have to end up writing about real human people just so I can place them there.  Uggg, who am I kidding?

So why am I telling you about this valley surrounded by mountains that I love?
First of all, I get to go there soon.  Yea for me!
Second, I thought maybe a giveaway was in order…
I’m going to bring ya’ll back something from my private little mountain home, but you’re going to have to do a couple things for me.
1)     Tell me the name of the place I love, the place that feels like my home (there are clues close by).
2)     Tell me if you have a place that feels like home, and what makes it feel that way to you.
3)     Leave a way for me to contact you (email, twitter name...)
4)     Do all these things by 12 noon on Monday February 28, 2011.
The contest will close at that time and winner(s) will be selected by random org the same day by midnight PST.
If you like the contest, please Retweet or post it on your blog.  I’d love to get lots of entries and will give out more prizes based on number of entries.  What will the prizes be?  Here’s a hint: there may be wolves involved and books as well, all related to my happy place.

Have fun, and dream of ‘home’.

5 comments:

Julie Geistfeld said...

Giveaway update!
On the table are...

A game: Werewolves of Millers Hollow
A book: Wolves at Our Door by Jim and Jamie Dutcher

Enter, win, easy!

Melissa Crytzer Fry said...

Uncanny, Julie. My Feb. 14 post was about "home." (http://melissacrytzerfry.com/2011/02/home-on-the-range/) It's such an engaging topic - so full of emotion!

As my blog mentions, home to me is the Sonoran Desert of Arizona, even though I grew up in and loved western Pennsylvania. Something about the desert terrain really speaks to me and just 'feels right.' I can totally relate to your post!

The description of your favorite place sounds wonderful. Sun Valley, perhaps? I want to go, too! (Love wildlife, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I agree with Melissa and your place is Sun Valley.
Hmmm, I don't think I've found my place yet, but it might be along the California coast. Something is calling me that way.

Did I win?
Toby

Beth said...

I'm with them on Sun Valley, and I don't really have a "home" place. I wish I did though.
bethfred.com

Julie Geistfeld said...

Winners, winners, we have some winners.

I will give all the details in my next blog post and send out notifications...

Thank you all for your comments and yes, you were all right, Sun Valley is my 'home'.