Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who’s got your back?

When I first began to pursue publishing and let a few people in on my plans, the response was surprising.  Yes, there were a few who thought I was crazy, others who comforted themselves with the odds that I wouldn’t get published and even some that were never let in on this little secret at all.  Overall, however, the support and enthusiasm was amazing.  People wanted to read my manuscripts, people asked questions, people cheered me on.
As time has passed, and we all on this journey quickly realize just how much time can be expected to pass, the support behind my endeavor has dwindled.  I don’t think people expect the waiting, nor do they know what to do with it.  If they ask how things are going they’re afraid of making you feel bad because nothing has happened yet.  If they check up on your writing progress then they’re afraid you’ll have something more for them to read, and they don’t have the time, so they just pretend it never happened.
Around the house they were ready and willing to help give you the time to write, because after all, you might get published and start producing an income.  With no instant income in the near future your writing very quickly becomes a liability and not an asset.
Time allotted to writing suddenly dwindles.  Incentive to finish stories quickly dissipates, and your writing drive sputters into neutral.
This phenomenon got me to thinking.  Do most writers out there have one person who is their writing generator?  When your writing power goes out, they’re there to kick it into gear again.  One single person who never treats you like you have a disease, writeritis, or tiptoe around you like you’re an emotional eggshell, or let you become overwhelmed by this goal you’ve set for yourself and your stories.  They always want to hear about what you’re working on, they cherish the midnight text that says another agent requested material, they kick your behind when you fail to write for a week.  They have a special place in your pre-mentally-written acknowledgements page, even if it takes 40 years to actually see that page in print.
Do you have a wind-beneath-your-writerly-wings?  Could you make it through the highs without floating away or the lows without burying your head in the sand without them?  Who is your biggest and first fan and what do they mean to you and your writing journey?

1 comment:

kmullican said...

My day job! Believe it or not - my boss being an AssHat on a daily basis reminds me that my dream is being paid to sit and write.

My kids also keep me motivated. They believe in me ('cuz I'm some sort of superhero.)

I don't have a problem writing...when it comes to editing - I want to drown myself in the toilet...need a muse for that. :)