Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Writing Method

Writers like to talk about, compare, test out writing methods. I think that when it comes down to it writing methods are as unique as every novel written. Can there really be a right and wrong? If it gets you to that place where the stories live then it must be right.

So, how would I sum up my writing method? I like to be alone in complete stillness. Then I say to all those voices in my head, "Please carry on, ignore me and this laptop, I'm just here to observe". Then I write down everything they show me, tell each other, see and feel.

I'll admit, there are a couple flaws in this method. First, I can never type as quick as they talk, so I have to ask them to repeat a lot of things for me. Second, their stories never seem to end. Even when the novel wraps up, they go on and I want to know the rest of their story. Like good friends, it's hard to let them go.

How about you? How would you sum up your writing method?

Well, whatever it is, enjoy every moment!

1 comment:

Melissa Crytzer Fry said...

THanks, for sharing your writing method, Julie. I love it. My writing method: I have to do a lot of research up front, and by reading and re-reading my research notes and my character sketches, scenes start to pop up and THEN my characters talk to me, leading me to a more fleshed-out plotline!

Sorry to hear you are being phone stalked by the paper. Ugh. You're way more patient than I. (And thanks for your gracious Twtitter RTs, dear).