Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Characters have a Theme Song...

I don't know why it took me this long to make the connection, but I was listening to Mumford and Sons today and when I heard The Cave it just clicked. That is their song!

I love little moments like that, where it all comes together and you're actually in their shoes, looking out through their eyes for that one brief moment.

I'm loving these characters. He's deeper than I expected and she's stronger than I intended. Somewhere around 25k works they took hold of their own lives and they didn't belong to me anymore. I set them free and I'm so proud of where they've gone since then.

I had a small vision for this story, a purpose and a direction, but it has gotten so much bigger than my plans. This story. It's blowing my mind. When I realized it wasn't going to end the way I intended it to from the start it both hurt and felt completely right. It's not a happy ending, but it's a hopeful ending. There is promise in it. Potential.

So now I begin to write my way to that end. With painful typing they will conclude this portion of their time. With new hope a new book will open for them, and I hope I can write it soon.

No comments: