Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Thoughts on Querying (that should NEVER be posted on the blog)


When I first started the querying process (roughly 8 novels and three years ago) I thought it was the hardest part of the writing process. It involved more research than writing a novel, or three.

By the time I finished sending out my first round of queries, which was too large of a group and honestly a completely sad attempt at selling my novel, I had an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. I could do this! I didn't expect instant success, but I did have great hope and a feeling of understanding I didn't have prior to that.

All these years later and I have a hard time bringing myself to begin the querying process. I mean, I'm better at it, and can produce a much more polished attempt at selling my novel. But I've seen almost too much of the business at this point.

I love writing. I adore editing. But there is this temptation to spend all my time writing and editing, sending them to readers, polishing them up until they shine. You see, querying is work and until that one query is successful, it's not rewarding work. So there's this little voice in my head telling me to just keep writing and wait for that knock on my door when someone shows up to say 'Hey, I hear you wrote a book. I want it!'

Yeah. Right. I know.

It's time to take this query thing head on. To take it beyond round one. To focus and push on. I know it is. Yet there's still that voice, urging me into the escape of writing. It's time to stop enjoying my job and start working hard. Because the truth is, anything worth the effort is going to require a little pain. And yes, querying is a lot like birthing pains. But I can't keep waiting for the epidural. There isn't one coming.


(This was the note marked 'post', right?)

3 comments:

Lorena said...

Julie, what has worked for me to make the querying process less painful is to query "an agent a day". That way you can continue to revise your work while querying and it keeps your mind off agents. Plus, when you get a request, it's a happy surprise. Good luck!

kimmullican said...

I wish you the best. The industry is going through major changes and it seems harder than ever to get someone to grab your work.

Hate Captcha! 4 tries and still don't have it right...

Julie Geistfeld said...

Thanks for the comments Kim and Lorena! I love hearing about query experience. It's so universal, isn't it?