Thursday, November 29, 2012

Plunging Into Publishing


Well, I’ve taken the plunge.

After many times of declaring that I would never go this route I was finally nudged by one too many readers and decided to take a serious re-look at self publishing.

This time there was a strange little voice in the back of my head that just kept saying ‘why not?’

And really. Why not?

I’ve tried querying, and to be honest I’m not all that great at it. I dove into it with one project and then kind of burned out. It’s a process which can do that to you.

In the meantime I have one series that I’ve polished to such a shine that it didn’t entirely freak me out to release it into the public eye.

So I’m now officially writing this blog post as an ‘author’ and not just a ‘writer’. I have an ‘author’ page on Facebook Like Me, you can look me up on Amazon Amazon Author Page, and I’ve even held my own book in my hands.

This isn’t what I expected when I started out on my journey to publication. Of course it’s also not what I dreamed of when I started taking notes on a notepad seven years ago either. In fact, in many ways it’s better than I could have imagined anywhere along the line. Why? Because I’m diving in on my own I guess. No one is there to hold my hand. No one is there to boost my confidence or deflate it. There’s just me, and my stories. We’re going it alone, just like we began it.

So, if you decide to take a chance on this author and meet some of the characters I love, well, I hope you love them too. I hope you enjoy their journeys as much as I enjoyed tagging along on them. Maybe they’ll touch your heart, maybe they’ll even break it from time to time. They did mine, and I loved them all the more in the end.

The first book in my first series is available now.

IN HER BLOOD is a YA Paranormal Romance, book 1 in the HER BLOOD series.

Here are some links to where you can go to find it.
Amazon  Kindle  Create Space

I suppose I have a lot to learn in the self-publishing world, so I’ll try to keep you up to date on this adventure into publishing. I’m excited. I’m hopeful. But I think I’m fairly grounded too. I’m not expecting miracles, just a chance to finally tell my story.

What have I learned so far?

The nitty gritty stuff, like double spacing is too much, as I always suspected, 1.5 is way better.

Also, a 6x9 book is slightly larger than I like to hold. If I could do it over (because no, you can’t change it after the fact) I would pick the next size smaller.

It’s amazing to sign up for free promotion days and have 699 downloads of your book. Waiting and hoping for good reviews to come in can drive you a bit bonkers though. Luckily I have book 2 to take my mind off that though. Edit, edit, edit, and try not to refresh that Amazon page too often.

Waiting is as much a part of writing as, well, writing is. Now I wait for the slow trickle of readers and reviewers. But I wouldn’t change it now that I’ve headed down this road. I’m happy I self published. I’m glad to be out there, doing what I love for anyone who might be interested. I wouldn’t turn back and I’m grateful for the nudges that pushed me down this road.

 

Have you taken the plunge into self-publishing?

Any advice you can give to this newbie?

 

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy reading and writing everyone.


Psst… By the way… I’m posting this a couple days early because right now I’m giving away paperback copies of my book on twitter and I didn’t want to leave out my blog friends. If you comment here and say you want a copy of my book, I’ll enter you in the daily giveaway. Also, go to twitter and RT my post there saying you want to win In Her Blood, and you just might get another chance to win a copy. Just make sure I know how to reach you. Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Good luck!

Julie Geistfeld said...

Thank you Beth! I haven't regretted it at all. Very happy that I made the leap.